May 3, 2012

Back To Work

When Austin and I first met and had all those crazy discussions about life and our future together, one thing we talked about was kids. We both said that we wanted to be there for our kids as much as possible.

 Austin and I both were fortunate to have wonderful Mother's who stayed at home with us most of our lives. We grew up with a Mom there whenever we needed her. A Mom to send us off to school and be there when we got home. We both agreed that we wanted the same thing for our own children one day.

One day is here!! After months of thinking and talking about what I'm going to do about going back to work I've decided to go back part-time. I know we will be giving up certain things.. wait, we already have! We don't go out, we don't buy fancy things and we aren't moving into a massive house anytime soon. We want to enjoy growing our family and be able to afford things here and there. We can make it work, we just need to pinch pennies.. wait, we already do! 



The cost of daycare compared to my income and the amount of time I would be away from my baby was just not worth it. Nothing would get done around the house and I would be exhausted. I'm not sure how other Mother's do it.

Going back to work part-time is what is going to work for me (I think!). A great opportunity close to home has come up and I have my interview today. I'm excited and nervous about going back to work. I've been hanging around in Mommy-land for 10 months now and have no idea what is going on in the banking world.  Wonder how many new Visa products have been rolled out? Lots of catching up to do.

Fortunately, we found a great care provider just around the corner and we have had a couple play dates so far. I know this adjustment is going to be harder on me than it will be on Carson. Lately, every time I give him his bottle and put him down for his nap, I almost cry thinking that I won't be around as much soon.

I know it's normal and every Mom goes through this. I'm worried about how well he will nap at daycare, if he's going to miss me, if he will get hurt by other kids (it's happened before under my own watch!), if I will be able to handle another role.... the list goes on.


Some good news is that my old work pants fit! They may not fix exactly the same way, but they fit and I don't have a muffin top.(woo hoo!) I know everyone will be looking to see how well I've "bounced back" from having a baby and gaining 60 pounds right? People do stare at my tummy to see the damage. I feel like just lifting up my shirt and showing them! Might not be appropriate in a professional environment though right? I will have to remind myself that I'm not at home anymore in my Mommy pants! 

So much to think about, but I know I can handle this. I've handled a lot this past year. I can do it and so can Carson. Change is good, I'm going to embrace it!

No comments:

Post a Comment