February 7, 2012

Five Little Monkey's Jumping On The Bed!

I started reading to Carson when he was about 6 weeks old. He was in his swing one night and I decided that he needed something other than the teddy bear mobile to keep him entertained. The first book I read to him was by Dr.Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

He really did seem to like being read to. It kept him quiet and happy. I was so excited that he was enjoying it that I started reading to him even more. 

When he started to get grabby, maybe around 3 months (it's bad that I can barely remember), he started to get tiny paper cuts from touching the pages in the books. I realized that I needed to use only board books until he got older. Oh, the things I've learned!

Part of his established bedtime and naptime routine is being read to. This means I read to him at least 3 times a day. This time with him is very rewarding. I remember before Carson was born I was worried that I wouldn't be able to be animated and talk to my baby the way I do. I've surprised myself at how much I have thrown myself right into his world and do make the most of the time I have spend with him. I never thought I'd have that Mommy voice! 

I am also lucky that my parents read a lot to me and my siblings. I have some of the books that my parents read to me to read to my baby now. It's pretty special.

So far, some of Carson's favourite books are:

Where's My Mom?
Five Little Monkey's Jumping On The Bed
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Does A Kangeroo Have a Mother too?

I really like the author Eric Carle. There are lots of bright colours and repetitive stories to help baby's learn new words. I never feel like reading to Carson is a chore, it's a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment