February 23, 2012

Get Carson 'Onya' and Go!

One week, three carriers, not enough time to try them all! Two out of three is still pretty good. I tried the Manduca and the Onya Baby carriers. Unfortunately, I didn't have time for the Gemini. 

After trying the Manduca for two days and liking it, I went on to the Onya Baby carrier. What a difference from the Manduca. Right away the Onya Baby carrier was easier to put on. I had Carson on me and out the door a lot faster compared to the Manduca.  I also really like the feel of the Onya Baby carrier. The material is more breathable and the straps are wider allowing equal weight distribution between my shoulders.

There are some other great features to the Onya Baby carrier I liked other than it's friendly appearance and intuitive design. I love that the carrier can also be used as a chair. That's right, no matter where I go, as long as I have my carrier with me, Carson has a chair too.  


The straps are insanely easy to adjust compared to the Manduca. It felt like silk sliding through the buckles. If you have ever tried strapping a baby to yourself you would understand the importance of the adjustments being easy. 

The Onya Baby carrier has an excellent hood to cover everything so you can nurse your baby in the carrier. It also has great pockets to store keys, cell phone, a diaper and snacks. I'm already looking forward to summer hikes.

The Onya Baby carrier cannot be used with newborns. Your baby has to be 15 pounds before you can strap them in and go. This is why it's good to have two different types of carriers. One you can buy before you even have your baby is the Boba wrap http://store.bobafamily.com/baby-wrap/

I would highly recommend testing out structured carriers once your baby has arrived and is starting to outgrow the wrap carrier. It's a very personal choice which carrier will be suitable for you and your family (let's not forget the Dad's here!) and most baby stores do allow trials and instruction. Just get out there and ask and start wearing your baby!


Here are some links I found helpful:


How to use the Onya Baby carrier
http://onyababy.com/customer-services/support


Milkface Babywearing Manual
http://www.milkface.com/images/carriers.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment