February 19, 2012

Rock-A-Bye-Baby!

I finally rocked Carson so much that my chair broke!  At first it was just a bit of squeaking, then a loud thumping noise began. We need a new chair!  I did manage to figure out the sweet spot, but it was hard to keep it there and sure made my legs burn. If Carson wasn't in a deep enough sleep, the noises of the chair woke him up. Super annoying! 

When we were expecting Carson many people told us not to spend too much money on a chair because we probably wouldn't get much use out of it. So we went the safe way and bought a $200 chair from Wal-Mart for Carson's room. Yes, it looked like a cheap chair which was not the look I was going for, but dropping over $1000 on a chair seemed unreasonable at the time. Wants and needs are very different things and I wasn't sure just how much I'd be rocking and feeding Carson in the chair until he arrived.


After six months of many, many hours of nursing and rocking, our chair is dead. What to do now? I can't live without a chair. When the chair broke I realized just how much I have been dependant on it. Over the past couple of months we've used it less for only rocking and also for book reading and cuddle time before bed. So our hunt for a new chair began.


Having a Scottish husband is great for finding good deals. We got an awesome deal on a very slightly used top of the line Dutailier glider. Austin found the ad on Kijiji and tracked the people down. We had it delivered too and it looks great in Carson's room.

Did I mention how much more comfortable the chair is too? What a difference. The lower back support actually exists and I almost fell asleep in the chair the other night at 2am. That definitely didn't happen in the crappy chair we had before. My butt used to go numb for sitting in it so long at the beginning when Carson "fed" for 45 minutes. 



It's hard to say that I wish we would have bought a better chair so that we didn't have to go through the stress of looking for a new one. Or dealing with the broken one, not fun at all. It's impossible to prepare for a new baby in some ways. We had no idea just how important a good rocker would be.


Having a new good quality chair really makes a difference in my every day routine with Carson. He likes to be rocked to sleep at night and I don't mind doing it. He goes down on his own for his naps, but there is something sweet and peaceful about holding him in my arms and watching him drift off to sleep for the night. As long as I stop doing it before he goes off to school right? haha! He'll always be my baby, not matter how old he gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment